Airbus occupies the entire 8th floor at 1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. Their space includes offices, three conference areas, and an interactive Experience Center with an Oculus video ceiling. Visitors can interact with flight and mission control simulators, a fleet wall, innovation gallery, and product demos. The project was constructed in two phases, with the office and support areas completed first and the experience center next.
GHT provided mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) engineering for the project, which required extensive coordination with the architect, set designer, branding consultant, and AV integrator. DC Green Construction Code compliance was also required.
Features of the HVAC design include:
- Multizone cooling control and electric heat at the perimeter
- Variable Refrigerant Volume (VRV) system that provides supplemental cooling and enhanced zone control
- Dedicated AC units for individual control in the conference rooms and the AV/LAN rooms
- Cooling for the Experience Center via a combination of existing base building systems and a water-cooled VRV system
- New drycooler and pump package located on the roof to serve all supplemental AC equipment