64 New York Avenue NE was originally constructed as a warehouse in 1920, and renovated to commercial office space in the late 1990s. In 2011, the owner initiated additional building modifications for which GHT provided mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) engineering design.
Prior to the latest renovations, GHT provided an ASHRAE Level I Energy Audit and commissioning. The team identified practical and capital improvements which provided an estimated total yearly savings of $124,000 and a combined simple payback of four years or less. Tasks included:
- Documenting the current Sequence of Operations for the building
- Developing a Building Operating Plan and Preventive Maintenance Schedule
- Developing a retro-commissioning plan for the building’s major energy-using systems
- Documenting the breakdown of energy use in the building
- Outlining operating problems that affected occupants’ comfort and energy use and developing corresponding operational change recommendations
- Calculating the financial impact of recommendations
- Training of the management staff on sustainable building operations
The project achieved a certification level of Gold under the LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance™ rating system.