GHT Limited, a leading DC metro area MEP engineering consulting firm located in Arlington, VA, seeks a bright and motivated Plumbing Design Engineer.
Candidate must demonstrate proficiency in plumbing design theory and a willingness to learn practical aspects of the built environment including: design of domestic water, storm, sanitary waste systems, gas, laboratory and medical gas piping system; fire suppression systems; load calculations; equipment sizing and selection; performing site surveys; and a working knowledge of building and energy codes. The individual must reflect a commitment to client satisfaction and responsiveness as well as be motivated to excel, able to work both independently and in a team setting, and capable of organizing personal workflow. We are interested in candidates who plan to actively pursue a P.E. License.
Purpose of Position:
This is an advanced position for individuals with an engineering degree or without an engineering degree who through experience, education, expertise, and previous designer positions has acquired an expertise on certain kinds of projects that is equivalent to those having a degree.
Scope of Position:
Perform engineering assignments under general direction of discipline leader, with the responsibility for choice of action, system decisions and interpretation affecting designs and procedures. This includes system evaluation, equipment selection, project planning, independent evaluation, substantial adaptation and modification of procedures, and standard techniques to meet project requirements. Devises new approaches to problems encountered, independently performs most assignments with technical guidance from discipline leader.
Duties and examples of work performed:
1. Attend meetings as GHT representative for discipline.
2. Perform field surveys of projects to verify as-built conditions for design of project or reports.
3. Perform design calculations as required to complete project.
4. Review all project shop drawings for their discipline.
5. Address contractor requests for information (RFI’s)
6. Write specifications from GHT master for assigned projects.
7. Write reports essential to system analysis, review or evaluation of systems for use of owners, investors, or government agencies.
8. Document project through correspondence to client, design team, utility companies and code authorities.
9. Run engineering programs to solve engineering problems and verify design requirements.
10. Determine system design concepts to meet client requirements.
11. Check inter discipline coordination of junior staff.
12. Be responsible for discipline’s complete design and calculations of all assigned projects.
13. Able to prepare required supplemental documentation required for permit in select jurisdictions.
14. Answer questions and provide technical guidance to discipline members/staff.
15. Function as project manager on assigned project
Level of responsibility:
Responsible for assignments, produce construction documents, project design decisions, presentation and review of staff in their discipline working on assigned projects. Accountable for project design in their discipline as scheduled. All designs, reports, specifications and opinions are reviewed by project PIC, project manager or Discipline Leader.
Knowledge and experience required:
1. Proficiency with AutoCAD (recent releases) and Autodesk Revit MEP is a must.
2. Familiar with all national and local codes that affect their discipline.
3. Must have minimum of 8 to 15 years of plumbing experience or equivalent.
4. Basic understanding of design concepts and presentation methods used in all disciplines at GHT.
5. Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
6. Must be able to read plans from all disciplines of assigned projects.
7. Must have above average visual, verbal, and written communications skills.
8. Encouraged to be a member of or attending general meetings of technical society related to their field of competency (ASHRAE, IES, ASPE, NSPE, etc.).
Only qualified applicants will be considered.
GHT Limited is one of the largest MEP engineering consulting firms in the DC Metro area. We provide excellent benefits including a flexible work environment, health insurance, generous vacation package, employer-matching 401(k) plan, and an opportunity to earn performance-based bonuses throughout the year. Our LEED Gold certified office is close to the Ballston Metro and in the heart of Arlington, Virginia.
If you would like to be part of an industry leading MEP engineering consulting firm, complete an application and submit a cover letter and resume in confidence via the Apply Today link to the right.
GHT Limited does not discriminate on the basis of, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, veteran or disabled status, marital status, familial status, or any other basis protected by law.
Share Job Posting